In the 70th anniversary of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, Musical Theatre Review is launching the Best Musical Award to celebrate the excellence of musical theatre product presented at the world’s largest annual arts event.
The winning musical will be picked from a shortlist of 10 productions nominated by the MTR Edinburgh team, led by Festival Editor Fiona Orr.
MTR publisher Lisa Martland said: “In recent years there has been a growing percentage of musical theatre shows at the Fringe, yet the art form continues to receive much less profile than straight theatre and comedy.
“These productions are essential to the genre’s future (and the development of new work), so the more we can do to highlight and recognise emerging talent, the better. Musical Theatre Review’s contribution is to create a unique Edinburgh award – specifically for musical theatre.”
- Eligible shows must be presented by professional theatre companies or aspiring professional companies where a level of skill and craft is evident.
- The work must be a dramatic work using music and song to advance the plot, narrative or character.
- Work must be in performance from 10 to 24 August and tickets must be made available to MTR reviewers to assess the show at no cost to the reviewer.
- The shortlist of 10 shows will be announced on Friday 18 August at midday.
- The winning show will be announced on Friday 25 August.
For more information, contact: Lisa Martland, Editor/Publisher, Musical Theatre Review ([email protected])